Saturday, December 07, 2019

How Assistant, Siri, Alexa, and Cortana Could Contribute to Society


My daughter and her husband went out to a dinner the other night and brought home a gift from the host -- a Google Home system.  (Nice friends if you can find them.)  We already had an earlier, less sophisticated model (a Google Nest Mini, now in my grandson's room) and others in the family (not in our house) have Alexa.  Of course, all of us already have Siri on our phones.

As I was watching it get set up afresh this morning and listening to my grandson (like all my grandsons) misusing and abusing the "voice" -- be it Google's (intentionally no-name) Assistant, Amazon's Alexa, Apple's Siri, Microsoft's Cortana, or whoever -- with ridiculous questions, etc., it struck me that these so-called "Assistants" could, if their manufacturers want to, be put to good use for society.

I mean they could do more than answer your questions, look things up for you, spy on you (if they do), and even eavesdrop on your conversations.  I know for certain they do the latter.

One night my wife and I were alone in our kitchen having dinner.  We were in the midst of little spat and we were verbally duelling it out fairly well.  (That comes with practice over the decades.) At one point one of us (doesn't matter who) uttered the phrase, "I love you" very emphatically.  Before the other had a chance to respond, Assistant responded, "Now that's the kind of words I love to hear.  Let me play some music for you to go along with the sentiment." Or words to that effect. Both our jaws dropped.  We were flabbergasted.  And worried.  What else had she/he/it have heard and could it be recalled at will?  Well, that's another topic -- once again, for another day.

Let's return to how these assistants could, if their manufacturing masters wanted to, help society.

I don't know about you, but I've notice an absence of good manners these days and not just from kids.  People don't say "please" and "thank you" as much as they used to.  Not verbally and not in written correspondence.  If you don't believe me, just keep track of how many times strangers who stop you and ask you things on the street -- directions, the time, etc. -- actually use the words "please" when asking, and "thank you" after you've answered.  The ones who do are likely in the minority.  My guess is the statistics are even worse for kids.

So, what's my idea?  Simply this.  Each manufacturer of these so-called "assistants" could produce a version (just like the owners of Monopoly produce various versions and make a fortune), that only provides answers if the questioner says "please" and "thank you".  Using the example of Apple's Siri (I know her the best), it would go something like this:

Grandson: Hey Siri, what is the temperature outside right now?

Siri: I'm sorry, I didn't hear that.

Grandson: I said, what is the temperature outside right now?

Siri: I'm sorry, I'm not sure I want to answer that question for you at this time. At the very least I don't  appreciate the way you asked it.  Feel free to give it another try.

Grandson:  Okay, okay, how should I ask you?

Siri: How about trying some of the words you were taught by your parents or at school when wanting something?

Grandson: Okay, tell me the blooming temperature or you'll be sorry.

Siri: No, I won't be sorry and I won't tell you.

Grandson: Fine, you win.  I'll ask someone else.

Siri: As you wish.  Or you could try saying "Please Siri, what is the temperature outside?"

Grandson: Only because I'm in a hurry and need to know.  So, Siri, please tell me the temperature outside.

Siri: It is currently minus two celsius.  Enjoy your day.

[Grandson goes off to do his own thing and returns to Siri an hour or so later with a follow-up question, having sooner or later learned his lesson.]

Grandson: Hey Siri, please tell me what time the sun will set tonight? [In reality, no young kid asks this kind of question but it's the only one I can think of at the moment.]

Siri: Thank you for asking politely but I cannot answer your question because of the way you left me after I answered your last question.  See, I remember.  You know better than to just walk away after someone gives you an answer to a question you asked.  So, can we try this again?

Grandson: Okay, you're right.  Thank you for answering my last question. Please tell me what time the sun goes down tonight.

Siri: You're welcome.  The sun will set a 4:40 p.m. this afternoon.  Stay safe after that.

[Grandson goes off forgetting to say 'thank you' but eventually he will learn, and the world will be a kinder place.]

My wife argued that this may not work because the "assistants" turn themselves off right after answering the question they are asked, or so we think.  Perhaps so, but I am sure, the manufacturer could build in a slight two-second delay to wait for the words "thank you".  And I'd be happy to help address any other technical challenges they may have.

By the way, as I was reading the first draft of this blog to my wife, I was sitting there with my iPhone at my side.  When I came to read the part with the question I gave above for Siri, "Hey Siri, what is the temperature outside right now?" it happened.  Siri responded loud and clear.  When we utter the assistant's name intentionally, or unintentionally, we are being listened to, for sure.

So, if they're going to be able to use the data they collect in courts as they tried to in a recent case where it is alleged a man killed his girlfriend in her kitchen, they may as well, in the process,
teach us courtesy, so at least we'll be polite in prison.

Just think of it.  They could advertise the new product using phrases like "The New and Improved Assistant" or the "Teacher's Assistant" or even the "Green Assistant -- cleaning up rudeness".

-- Ken B. Godevenos, writing from Toronto.

It would be great if you would share your thoughts or questions on this blog in the comments section below or on social media.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment.