For years, I have been listening to the arguments on both sides. I have a son-in-law that is adamant that everyone should be allowed to own a handgun for protection of his/her life and that of their family. I know that most American conservatives are GOP voters and thus most so far have supported the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution that protects the right of the people to keep and bear arms, unconnected to service in the military, and to use that right for self-defense within one’s home, among other things. On the other hand, I am aware that most Christians believe that aside from one’s involvement in an act of war against an aggressor for his/her own country or on behalf of another other, one is not to kill.
When the amendment was adopted over 221 years ago, early American settlers viewed the right to arms as critical and needed for one or more of these purposes (not in order of deemed importance):
- deterring tyrannical government;
- repelling invasion;
- suppressing insurrection;
- facilitating a natural right of self-defense;
- participating in law enforcement;
- enabling the people to organize a militia system.
- to govern us democratically and honestly
- to stop (home, state, country) invasions
- to suppress insurrection
- to facilitate our natural right of self-defense
- to allow us to assist in enforcing the law especially where the police is not doing their job, and
- to enable the people to organize a militia system where necessary?
- I am a Christian nurse, totally dependent on God in every aspect of my life
- ·By some strange circumstance, I find myself working with a doctor that is about to carry out an abortion at the request of a woman who does not want her life interfered with by the responsibilities of a child
- My country allows all of us to carry guns
- My country (by some miracle) also has outlawed all abortions.
Please note: This is not my preferred position. As a Christian, I would rather there be no guns at all needed, anywhere. I would rather live in a Civil Society. And I admit that in some respect the ability to carry guns makes everything seem more uncivil. But let us not allow the continuation of killings of innocent children because we search for, and do anything to get, this Edenic Civil Society we all long for. I wish that were not the case. Deep down I believe every Christian should be a total pacifist in a totally pacifist society. But that is not reality. I'd love to hear your comments preferably below.
Sign up (on the right) to receive free updates. We bring you relevant information from all sorts of sources. Subscribe for free to this blog or follow us by clicking on the appropriate link in the right side bar. And please share this blog with your friends and while you’re here, why not check out some more of our recent blogs shown in the right hand column.
Also, I’ve read some good books and make some great recommendations for you at http://astore.amazon.com/accorconsu-20 which you can purchase right from there.
Check our firm out at Accord Consulting.
Finally, if you like what you read here, you may want to donate to my favourite charity, SCA International, by clicking on the logo below. Ken.