Saturday, January 15, 2011

Mid-day Musings January 15, 2011

I find it really sad that we need to give a lunatic group airtime in exchange for not protesting at the funeral of a nine-year-old girl who was drastically murdered in the massacre in Tucson earlier this month.  Thank God for radio station 102.1 FM in Toronto and four other U.S. radio stations who made this offer.  It's also sad that the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) called on the radio stations to rescind their offers.  But one station already fulfilled its promise.  Fortunately, the U.S. government is considering legislation to ban such protesting at funerals.

Untied States Supreme Court currently is composed of six Catholics, three Jews, and no Protestants. I can live with that.  But it also says something about the link between the Protestant, the Evangelical, and the Southern Baptist movements (none of which necessarily are one and the same) and the "true power" that is in the United States.  Also what will that mix look like by the time the next election comes around, and four years after that.  The American system, not unlike Canada's and I'm sure many other democracies, is interesting in that Supreme Court judges can only be replaced when they die, or take retirement, or step down (I suppose they can also be impeached by the House of Representatives).  And they are replaced by the President.  So, if you have a liberal president, you will get liberal judges replacing any vacancies.  And if you have a conservative president, you will get more conservative judges.  It's always a gamble as to a) what kind of president will be in power when b) you get 'x' number of vacancies in the Supreme Court.  I am sure there is some influencing going on as to who retires when, etc.  But it is in this body of government -- the Supreme Court that the real power of the land resides.  Keep an eye on it.  Theoretically, right now, for the time being, we should be seeing some more conservative decisions.  Thank God for that.

Charles Stanley says, "We do not acquire feelings of self-worth by standing in front of a mirror and repeating to ourselves, 'I am worthy, I am worthy, I am worthy.'  We acquire feelings o self-worth when we stand in front of the cross and come to the realization of the greatest truth of all time, 'I am worthy because Go says I am worthy.  I am worthy because Jesus died in my place for my sins so that I might live in eternity with God.'"

It would be great if you would share your thoughts or questions on this blog in the comments section below or on social media.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment.