Saturday, January 29, 2011

Is it time to rethink the relationship of Religion and Politics?

After I blogged about the Fox Network not allowing a Christian advertisement regarding John 3:16 during the Super Bowl game this year, a friend on Facebook wrote this on my wall: "When these kinds of issues arise I always remember the old saying: Stay away from discussing religion and politics. I think rational debate on either of these is not possible most of the time."

I do agree in her one phrase, "rational debate . . . is not possible most of the time."  But, I also
believe we need to find a way to discuss religion with politics and vice-versa.  We have ignored them too long.  We have tried to separate church and state when they cannot be.  Certainly the new world (the emerging Islamic world that is now in our face) is not seeing them or treating them that way.

I am not sure that Jesus would have us treat them that way, either.  Yes, He said we are to render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and unto God what is God's, but I believe that is all about obeying both in as far as it is possible.  That is, obeying the laws of the land where they do not contradict God's.  Other places in scripture bear that out.  But I believe  He wants us to take our "faith" into our lives and that includes into our civil responsibilities -- into our votes and into our influencing of others.  In short, into our blatant and not so blatant politics.  If our Lord cannot be our Lord in our politics (not necessarily the world's views, but ours), then can He be Lord of any thing?   And if He is Lord of my politics, then I must share Him when I share my views on politics.  In fact, I would go as far as to say, now is a good time for all good (Christian) men (and women) to come to the aid of their faith and take advantage of the times -- times when government without faith in God has proven to be a total failure.

These are just my thoughts.  What do you think?

 
-- Thanks for dropping by.   Sign up to receive updates.  --  Ken B. Godevenos, Church & Mgmt. Consultant, bringing you relevant information from all sorts of sources.  Subscribe free to Epistoli or follow us by clicking on the appropriate link in the right side bar.  And don’t forget to “share” this blog with your friends by clicking the “Share” link on your Navigation Bar.

It would be great if you would share your thoughts or questions on this blog in the comments section below or on social media.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment.