Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Taking A Stand Against the Sport World's 'Turning a Blind Eye' to Physical Abuse



A friend of my recently wrote this letter and gave me permission to use it on social media.  It's a great read for those who love their women, daughters, nieces, granddaughters.  And who also love sports. Especially baseball.  Take a read and share

July 24, 2018

Mr. J. Natale
President  CEO
Rogers Communications Inc.
333 Bloor Street East
Toronto, OntarioM4W 1G9


Dear Mr. Natale

I'm writing to request that you review the Blue Jays' announced policy to essentially treat Roberto Osuna as if nothing had happened when he returns from his suspension.

I'm also writing as someone who owns Blue Jay season tickets that were originally purchased in 1977 and who attends 35 games a year and who is a long time subscriber of Rogers cable.

I will not re-articulate the argument against the Jay's policy since it was so effectively outlined in Marissa Stapley's July 14 opinion piece in the Globe.

I'm sure that Rogers and the Jays are following their HR policies, but I believe that in Mr. Osuna's case both need to be held to a higher, much higher, standard. Boys and young men see Mr. Osuna and his teammates as role models. You have the opportunity to impress on them that beating women is not acceptable. Please take that opportunity and not simply allow him to return as if he had not paid a few parking tickets.

Rogers should not allow John Gibbon's attitude that "I love the kid" and "I won't do anything to punish him" stand. He is not a kid. He is an adult employee of Rogers Communications and I find it hard to love, much less watch pitch, anyone who beats women. Nor should Ross Atkins' contention that "we are running a baseball team and our goal is to win championships" be allowed to stand. It would be a very hollow championship, if celebrating men who beat women is the price of winning it.

Rogers should turn its corporate presence and communications machine (including SportsNet) and the Blue Jays' visibility among boys and young men to send a very strong message that beating women is far, far from appropriate.

(Yes, I'm assuming his guilt based on the fact that it took nanoseconds for a restraining order to be issued; MLB took slightly longer, but suspended him and, as I understand it, he plans to plead guilty.)

I do not know yet how I will protest when I’m at a game if the Jays do not reverse their current position, but I do know that I will be switching my television service from Rogers to Bell should the Jays play Mr. Osuna before he is found innocent or if Rogers and the Jays do not do more, much more, than hang out a "Welcome back" sign, if he is found guilty. 

I will be equally angry at the criminal justice system if he is let off with "community service". This is not a man I want servicing my community until I know for sure that he is truly repentant, understands the seriousness of what he did and willingly speaks emphatically and frequently to boys and young men about the errors of his past ways.

I only met Ted Rogers a couple of times and then many years ago, but last night as I left the ROGERS Centre; walked past Ted ROGERS' statue and passed by the Ted ROGERS Centre for Heart Research, I could only wonder what Mr. Rogers would do to ensure it was clear to all boys, young men and even older ones that it was very, very wrong to beat women. 

Yours.


[Signed Bill S.]

cc:     Edward S. Rogers, Chairman, Toronto Blue Jays
         R. Brace, President, Rogers Media
            M. Shapiro, President and CEO, Toronto Blue Jays

It would be great if you would share your thoughts or questions on this blog in the comments section below or on social media.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment.