Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Should You Be Able To Record Police Actions That Occur in Public?

Let me start by saying this is a difficult story to post. I wasn't there so I can't say what really happened. But here's what I do know:

First, the story came to my attention through the website of Aljazeera media. This is what they're saying over yonder (what many of us refer to as the 'other side') about us and our policing in North America. It's not good.

Second, I note, if the article is correct, that a number of U.S. states prohibit the recording of police activity period. I simply ask, "Why?"

I am a big supporter of the police and I believe their job is very very difficult. Thank God for them or we'd turn into a Somalia very soon. But that does not mean we shouldn't do all we can to reward good cops, and try to change the behavior of bad cops.

I was speaking to a policeman recently and he told me that just as I have a right to remain silent about what I see my neighbors or my relatives do, they have a right to stay silent about what their "colleagues" do. Fair enough. Those are rights we all have. But if they can do that, who then is left that through recording evidence can accuse any bad behavior? No one. Shouldn't there be someone? If not, then we are inviting a police state. Your thoughts -- from civilians and police officers -- are welcomed. I'm open to learning more.

US police smash camera for recording killing - Features - Al Jazeera English



Thanks for dropping by.  Sign up to receive free updates.  We bring you relevant information from all sorts of sources.  Subscribe for free to this blog or follow us by clicking on the appropriate link in the right side bar.  And please share this blog with your friends.   Ken Godevenos, Church and Management Consultant, Accord Consulting.
 

It would be great if you would share your thoughts or questions on this blog in the comments section below or on social media.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment.